Do I need an ACL?

In short, the businesses that require an Australian Credit Licence (ACL) are; credit providers, lessors, credit service providers (finance brokers and mortgage managers or aggregators), and other financial intermediaries.



Learn more

Do I need an ACL?

In short, the businesses that require an Australian Credit Licence (ACL) are:

  • credit providers
  • lessors
  • credit service providers
    • finance brokers
    • mortgage managers or aggregators
  • other intermediaries.

‘Credit’ is defined as provided for personal, domestic or household use, or for the purchase, renovation or improvement of the value of a residential investment property. Credit otherwise provided for investment purposes is expressly excluded.

Persons engaging in ‘credit activities’ include:

  • credit providers under credit contracts and lessors under consumer leases (including in their capacity as mortgagees or beneficiaries of guarantees where the contract or lease is secured or guaranteed); and
  • others who provide ‘credit services’, such as finance brokers, mortgage managers or aggregators and other intermediaries who have a direct or indirect role in securing credit for a customer, or suggest, or provide assistance in respect of, a specific product with a particular credit provider.

An ACL is be required if these persons engage in, among other activities, any of the following:

  • providing credit or consumer leases, including engaging in pre-contractual conduct;
  • activities in relation to a mortgage or guarantee where the mortgage or guarantee is taken to secure or guarantee obligations under a credit contract or consumer lease;
  • collecting money due under a credit contract (including where the lender is no longer providing credit, or where debt collectors or mortgage managers manage the contract on the credit provider’s behalf); or
  • receiving by assignment and subsequently exercising the rights of a credit provider or lessor.

The Regulations provide exemptions for receivers and managers, liquidators and registered debt agreement administrators from requiring a licence. Financial counselling agencies are also exempted in certain circumstances.

If you are unsure whether your business is covered, or would like to obtain further assistance, please contact Sophie Grace directly.